Monday, March 17, 2014



Judy Sell "Apron Strings"

A collection of mosaic aprons created by Judy Sell.

In this collection of life size mosaic aprons, I use old dishes to create fabric-like patterns. Look closer and discover hidden messages, which are universal to mothers, some encourage, some nag. Each mosaic has real fabric ties from a vintage apron.

Artist Statement:
I create mosaics from household crockery and other pieces of nostalgia.
My hope is to honor the past with art for the present.

Influences
As a child, I collected tiny trinkets from people, places, and events to help me remember that place in time. Throughout my life I have found comfort in revisiting these treasured shoeboxes filled with memorable keepsakes.

In 1989 I saw a picture of an early 20th century Memory Jar. Looking closely I saw jewelry, pieces of china, and hardware included in this tribute. Mind blown, I began experimenting on my own by applying tiny objects to jugs, soon I became a found-object mosaic artist.

Today I explore THE APRON, created in mosaic. The apron, a symbol for womanhood,
protected my clothes as well as my heart as a mother. I feel feminine and professional
while wearing an apron in the kitchen and in my studio.



Show runs March 13 - April 19
Mosaic On A Stick
1564 Lafond Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55104
mosaiconastick.com

No comments:

Post a Comment